The magic here comes from the whipped feta. Don’t skimp on ingredients for it, and buy high-quality, in-season tomatoes. Adapted from The Barefoot Contessa.
- 6 oz good feta, crumbled
- 2 oz cream cheese
- 2/3 c good olive oil
- 2 T freshly squeezed lemon juice (Note: you may not want to use this if you have very tangy feta and/or cream cheese)
- 2 T minced shallots
- 1 clove garlic, crushed
- 2 T good red wine vinegar
- 2 lbs cherry tomatoes, cut in half
- 3 T fresh basil, roughly chopped
- 20 to 25 diagonal baguette slices, toasted
- 3 T toasted pine nuts
- Salt and black pepper
- Place the feta and cream cheese in a food processor fitted with the steel blade. Pulse until mixed.
- Add 1/3 cup of the olive oil, the lemon juice (optional), 1/2 t salt, and 1/4 t pepper. Process until smooth.
- Up to an hour before serving, combine the tomatoes, shallots, garlic, vinegar, 1/3 c olive oil, 1 t salt, and black pepper to taste in a medium-large bowl.
- Stir gently, then fold in the basil and taste for seasonings.
- To assemble the crostini, spread each slice of bread with a generous amount of whipped feta. Spoon tomatoes on top, then scatter with pine nuts and extra basil.