This is a spin on the classic chicken marbella – it’s so good that it speaks for itself. Adapted from Ottolenghi Simple.
- 8 whole chicken legs (about 3 pounds total)
- 3 cloves garlic, crushed
- 3/4 c fresh oregano leaves
- 3 T red wine vinegar
- 3 T olive oil
- 1 c pitted castelvetrano olives
- 6 T capers, plus 2 T caper brine
- 1 c pitted prunes (I add more because I love them)
- 2 bay leaves
- 1/2 c dry white wine
- 1 T brown sugar
- Salt and black pepper
- Preheat the oven to 400°F.
- Place the chicken in a large glass baking dish.
- Add the garlic, oregano, vinegar, olive oil, olives, capers, caper brine, prunes, and bay leaves, 1 t salt, and a good grind of black pepper. Gently mix everything together.
- Sprinkle with brown sugar, then pour wine over meat.
- Place in the oven and cook for 50 minutes, basting two or three times, until the meat is golden brown on top and cooked through.
- Remove from the oven, transfer everything to a large platter, sprinkle with some oregano, and serve.