This salad does a great job of marrying bitter with sour and umami. Adapted from The New York Times.
- 3 medium fennel bulbs, topped and trimmed, fronds reserved for another use
- 3 T olive oil
- 2 T lemon juice
- 1/4 t grated lemon zest
- 1 small garlic clove, crushed
- 1 medium head radicchio (about 12 oz)
- 4 large eggs
- 4 to 6 anchovy fillets, preferably the best quality you can find, patted dry and halved
- A handful or two of thick parmesan shavings
- Salt and black pepper
- Soft boil the eggs: bring a small pot of water to boil. Cook eggs for 6.5 minutes, then immediately submerge in ice water.
- Using a sharp knife or a mandoline, slice fennel crosswise into 1/8″ thick pieces.
- Place in a salad bowl, and add olive oil, lemon juice and zest, garlic, and salt and pepper to taste. Toss everything together, coating the fennel well.
- Remove and discard any wilted outer leaves of radicchio. Tear into bite-sized pieces, add to the salad bowl, and toss with everything, coating the radicchio well.
- Peel and half the eggs.
- To serve, place the fennel-radicchio mix in individual bowls, and top with egg halves, anchovy fillets, and parmesan shavings.