This is a simple, fresh salad to serve alongside mediterranean food. Adapted from Ottolenghi’s Simple.
- 6 ripe plum tomatoes, cut into 1 cm dice
- 2 mini-cucumbers, trimmed and cut into 1 cm dice
- 1 red pepper, seeds, stalk and pith removed, cut into 1 cm dice
- 5 spring onions, trimmed and thinly sliced on an angle
- Handfull of coriander leaves, roughly chopped
- 2 T lemon juice
- 3 T olive oil
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 4 T tahini
- 1 T za’atar
- Put the chopped tomatoes in a sieve for 20 minutes – discard juice when done.
- Place tomatoes, cucumbers, pepper, spring onions, and coriander in a large bowl.
- Add the lemon juice, oil and 1/2 t salt. Stir gently to combine.
- To serve, place the salad on plates, drizzle with tahini, and finish with a sprinkle of za’atar.