This is a fresh-tasting salad that showcases the sweetness of roasted beets and the nuttiness of avocado. Adapted from Six Seasons.
- 1 lb beets
- 3 T red wine vinegar
- 1/4 c roasted, salted sunflower seeds (or, pistachios!)
- 1/2 c parsley, roughly chopped
- 4 scallions, trimmed and slice on a bias
- 1/2 c seeded, chopped, and pickled pepperoncini peppers
- 2 fresh, ripe avocados
- olive oil
- salt and pepper
- Preheat the oven to 375 F.
- Trim the tops and bottoms of the beets.
- Rinse and drain the greens.
- Wash and scrub the beets if there is any mud. If the beets differ in size, cut them up so that they are about the same size.
- Arrange the beets in a shallow baking dish in a single layer. Season with salt, and pour 1/4 c water into the dish.
- Cover tightly with foil and roast until tender when pierced with a fork, about 30-60 minutes.
- Meanwhile, heat 1-2 T olive oil in a skillet and add the greens.
- Cook, tossing them around the pan, until they are wilted, for about 5 minutes.
- When cool, roughly chop the greens.
- When the roasted beets are cool enough, peel them.
- Cut the beets into bite-sized pieces and put in a bowl together with the chopped greens.
- Sprinkle with the vinegar, 1/2 teaspoon salt, black pepper to taste, and 1-2 T olive oil. Toss well.
- Add the sunflower seeds, parsley, scallions, and toss once again.
- Add the avocados and toss gently.