This salad calls for a special kind of radicchio called Castelfranco, a beautiful speckled variety with a mild flavor. If you can’t find it, you could probably substitute a combination of other types of bitter greens. Adapted from Baco.
For the salad
- 1 t sesame seeds (optional: toasted)
- 2 heads Castelfranco radicchio, ends trimmed and outer leaves removed
- 1/4 c roasted Marcona almonds
- 115 g aged white cheddar cheese, crumbled
- large handful of parsley, chopped
For the dressing
- 1/4 c olive oil
- 2 T white miso
- 2 T lemon juice
- 1 T soy sauce
- 1 T rice vinegar
- 1 t toasted sesame oil
- 1/2 t chilli flakes
- 1/2 t fresh ginger, grated
- 1/2 t sumac
- 1 t honey
- Tear the Castelfranco leaves into large pieces and put them in a large bowl.
- Add almonds, cheddar, and parsley to Castelfranco bowl and set aside.
- Whisk the dressing ingredients together.
- Toss the Castelfranco mix with the dressing and sprinkle with sesame seeds before serving.