This is a fun take on a summery tomato salad. The cardamom, lime zest, and goat cheese give this some zing. Adapted from Yotam Ottolenghi.
- 70 g Greek yogurt
- 50 g soft goat’s cheese (use a mild fresh cheese for this)
- ½ small garlic clove, crushed
- 1 tsp lime zest
- 1.5 T lime juice
- 1-2 limes – zest finely grated, to get 1 tsp, and juiced, to get 1½ tbsp
- 1/2 t ground cardamom (or, 15 cardamom pods, shells discarded and seeds finely crushed in a mortar)
- 1 large green chili, finely chopped (pith and seeds removed if you prefer less heat)
- 500 g ripe, sweet cherry tomatoes, halved
- 1 banana shallot, finely sliced and washed in water
- 60 ml olive oil
- Large handful of mint leaves, roughly chopped
- Mix the yogurt, goat’s cheese, garlic, and a pinch of salt in a large bowl until smooth.
- Add half the lime zest, half the cardamom, and half the chili, and stir to combine.
- In a second bowl, mix the tomatoes, shallot, lime juice, two T oil, and 1/2 t salt with the remaining lime zest, cardamom and chili.
- Add the yogurt mixture and most of the mint, and stir gently, but not too much – you want still to be able to see the red of the tomatoes and green of the mint in parts.
- Transfer to a platter, drizzle with the remaining two tablespoons of oil. Finish with the remaining mint and cardamom, and serve.