This recipe is so much more than the sum of its parts. Normally celery and green salad would be boring, but here, with the sweet and salty mix of ingredients, plus the creaminess of the feta and egg, these green veggies are delicious. Adapted from Yotam Ottolenghi’s Plenty More.
- 8 celery stalks, sliced diagonally into thin pieces
- 2 green peppers, deseeded and cut into thin strips
- 1 c pickled onions (see this recipe for instructions on how to make them)
- 1 T white sugar
- 1 t salt
- 4 lemons
- Handful of celery leaves, coarsely chopped (if your celery came with leaves, otherwise omit this ingredient)
- 1/2 c parsley, coarsely chopped
- 1/2 c cilantro, coarsely chopped
- 4 T capers
- 2 green chillies, deseeded and finely sliced
- 2 T olive oil
- 6 free-range eggs
- 200g feta
- Black pepper
- Put the celery and green pepper in a bowl, sprinkle with sugar and salt, and stir. Leave for 30 minutes, to soften the vegetables and draw out some of their juices.
- Section the lemons: Trim the ends off the lemons so that you can see how thick the rind is, then remove all of the rind and pith. Then, cut out each segment of lemon, add these to a small bowl, and set aside.
- In a large bowl, combine celery leaves, parsley, coriander, capers, chili, olive oil and some black pepper.
- Add veggies, pickled onions, and lemon segments to herb mixture and stir to combine.
- To soft boil the eggs, bring a small pot of water to boil: spoon the eggs into the water and simmer gently for six minutes. Transfer to a bowl of ice water and let sit until cool enough to handle. Peel carefully, the yolks should still be runny.
- To serve, top each individual bowl of veggies with feta and a soft-boiled egg, cut into quarters, so the yolk oozes out a little.