Here is my go-to, tried and tested recipe for spinach pie. It’s spinach-y and tang-y and cheesy, yum. Adapted from Smitten Kitchen.
- 1 T salted butter
- 1/2 c sliced green onions
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 lb fresh spinach
- 3/4 lb feta, crumbled
- 1/2 c fresh dill
- 1 T lemon juice
- 3 eggs
- 10 phyllo sheets, thawed at room temperature (about one package)
- 1 stick (1/2 c) butter, melted
- Preheat oven to 375 F.
- Melt 1 T salted butter in a large skillet over medium heat, add onions and garlic, and saute for a few minutes, until wilted and fragrant.
- Add spinach and cook, stirring, until wilted and tender, an addition 4-8 minutes. Remove from heat, stir in dill, and cool for a few minutes.
- Press spinach mixture through a colander to remove as much water as possible, then coarsely chop.
- Transfer spinach mixture to a bowl and stir in feta, lemon juice, and eggs.
- Cover phyllo sheets with a dampened kitchen towel (it gets brittle and hard to work with if it dries out.)
- Brush a 9×12 baking tray with a thin coat of butter. Take one phyllo sheet from the stack, and place in the bottom of the baking tray. Allow edges to hang over the sides of the pan if necessary.
- Repeat the process–butter, phyllo, butter, phyllo–with half of the phyllo sheets to make the bottom pastry layer.
- Spread the spinach-feta mixture over the phyllo layer and smooth filling.
- Cover the spinach-feta mixture with the remaining phyllo sheets, repeating the layering of phyllo, butte, phyllo, butter.
- Bake for 40-45 minutes until pastry is flaky and golden brown.