I made this ice cream without an ice cream maker – the custard base keeps it from forming ice crystals that are too big. Adapted from BBC Good Food.
- 3 large egg yolks
- 100g golden caster sugar
- 300ml full-fat milk
- 250g mascarpone
- seeds ½ vanilla pod (or 2 t vanilla extract)
- Put the yolks and sugar into a large bowl, and beat together until pale and thick.
- Put milk, mascarpone, and vanilla into medium saucepan and bring to the boil, stirring to combine
- Once just boiling, take off the heat and whisk this gradually into the bowl with egg mix to make a custard.
- Pour custard back into saucepan, and cook gently for 15 mins, stirring constantly until mix is thick enough to coat the back of a wooden spoon (approximately 65-70C). Don’t let it boil or the eggs will scramble.
- Freeze custard for approx. 4 hrs in a container, stirring and breaking up the crystals every hour until thick and smooth.