The tequila for this recipe adds a great, hearty flavor. This recipe goes well with rice, but also with tortillas. Adapted from Vegetarian World Classics.
- olive oil
- 2 onions, chopped finely
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 2-3 fresh chillies, de-seeded and chopped finely
- 1 14 oz can chopped tomatoes
- 2 14 oz cans pinto or barlotti beans
- 2 t cumin
- 1-2 T lime juice or vinegar
- 1/3 c tequila
- 1 large handful cilantro, chopped
- sour cream
- cheddar cheese
- avocado slices
- Heat a large pan over medium heat, add oil, and fry onions until fragrant and translucent.
- Add garlic and chilies, fry 30 seconds until fragrant.
- Add tomatoes, then add both cans of beans – with the liquid from one.
- Add cumin, lime/vinegar, tequila, and salt/pepper to taste.
- Simmer for 30-40 minutes, until the consistency of the beans is thickened. Serve with coriander, cheese, avocado, and sour cream.