This is a hearty and simple potato soup recipe that is flavored by fresh chives. This soup gets better and better each day, so the leftovers will taste delicious. Adapted from The Guardian.
- 2 T butter
- 2 large leeks, diced
- 500 g baking potatoes, peeled and cut into large chunks
- ~1 L chicken stock (not too salty!)
- 1 very large handful chives, finely chopped
- 1/2 c creme fraiche
- 1 bay leaf
- Over low-medium heat, melt butter, add leeks, and fry until they are translucent, 10-15 minutes.
- Add potatoes and bay leaf, and add just enough stock to cover. Bring to a boil and let simmer until potatoes are tender, ~20 minutes.
- Remove potatoes and mash them by hand, i.e. not with an electric blender or masher. This prevents the potatoes from becoming gluey – a few small chunks are okay and will add to the texture of the soup.
- Return potatoes to the soup, mix well and add creme fraiche.
- When the soup is heated through, remove from heat and stir in the chives.
- Serve soup with a dollop of creme fraiche and more fresh chives.