This is a very interesting savory cheesecake filled with zucchini, shallots, and lemon zest. It’s sort of like a savory tart, but without the crust – just a bit more creamy and indulgent. Adapted from 101 Cookbooks.
- 2 c zucchini, unpeeled and grated
- 1 t salt
- 2.5 c ricotta (I substituted a 50-50 combination of marscapone and cottage cheese and it worked really well)
- 1/2 c parmesian
- 2 shallots, finely chopped
- 2 gloves garlic, minced or pressed
- 1/4 c fresh dill, chopped
- zest of 1 lemon
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 1/3 c fresh goats cheese, crumbled
- Preheat oven to 325F/165C, and butter a 7″ springform pan (a larger pan is fine, just reduce the cooking time)
- Squeeze as much water out of the zucchini as possible and set aside.
- Combine ricotta, parmesian, shallots, garlic, dill, and lemon zest, and stir in the eggs until well mixed. Then stir in the zucchini.
- Fill the springform pan with the mixture and place on a baking sheet. Bake for 60 minutes.
- Remove from oven, sprinkle with goats cheese, and return to oven for another 20-30 minutes, until the cheese is melted and the cake barely jiggles in the center.