Adapted from Smitten Kitchen. This is absolutely the best chocolate cupcake recipe I’ve made – it’s adapted from a double chocolate layer cake, and it produces moist, extremely chocolaty cupcakes without any complicated steps. They’re great with frosting, and also delicious on their own.
- 100 g high-quality dark chocolate (I use 70% Green & Blacks)
- 1.5 c hot brewed coffee
- 3 c sugar
- 2.5 c flour
- 1.5 c cocoa powder (not Dutch processed – Cadbury works well)
- 2 t baking soda
- 3/4 t baking powder
- 1.25 t salt
- 3 large eggs
- 3/4 c vegetable oil
- 1.5 c buttermilk (make your own with 1 c milk + 1 T white vinegar, let stand for ~5 minutes)
- 1 t vanilla
- Preheat oven to 180C. Line cupcake tin with liners, or grease the wells with butter.
- Finely chop the chocolate, and combine it with the hot coffee. Stir until the chocolate is well melted.
- Combine sugar, flour, cocoa, baking soda, baking powder, salt.
- In a large mixing bowl, beat eggs until fluffy, then slowly add the oil, buttermilk, vanilla, and then the chocolate mixture.
- Slowly add the sugar mixture and beat on medium until just combined.
- Divide the batter into the cupcake tin and bake for 20-25 minutes.