This soup is surprisingly easy and delicious – the lentil and apricot flavors and textures blend together nicely. Recipe adapted from Mollie Katzen’s Vegetable Heaven.
- 2 c red/brown lentils, rinsed
- 8 c (r more) water
- 2 c onion, minced
- 2 t cumin
- 2 t ginger
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 c dried apricots, minced
- 2 t salt
- 3-4 T balsamic vinegar
- cayenne pepper and black pepper to taste
- yogurt and cilantro for garnishing
- Place lentils in water in large soup pot and bring to a boil. Cover, lower heat to a simmer, and cook for about 15 minutes.
- Add onion, cumin, ginger, and continue to simmer, covered, until lentils are very soft, about 15 more minutes. Add additional water if soup seems too thick.
- Add garlic, apricots, salt, and simmer, covered, for 15 minutes.
- Take off of heat, and stir in vinegar, black pepper, and cayenne pepper.