This is an easy chocolate cake, as the recipe name suggests. It is not as chocolatey as cakes that use melted bakers or bittersweet chocolate, but because it uses cocoa powder, it makes a good and quick substitute for more chocaholic versions. Recipe adapted from Smitten Kitchen.
- 1/2 c butter, softened
- 1 c firmly packed light brown sugar
- 1/2 c granulated sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1 c buttermilk (or yogurt)
- 1 t vanilla
- 1.5 c flour
- 3/4 cup Dutch cocoa powder (for natural cocoa powder, omit baking powder and use 1/2 t baking soda)
- 1/4 t baking soda
- 1/2 t baking powder
- Preheat oven to 325F, and prepare 9x5x3 inch loaf pan (or something comparably sized). In a large bowl, cream butter and sugar until fluffy, about 3 minutes. Add egg, beat well, and then add buttermilk and vanilla.
- Sift flour, cocoa, baking soda and baking powder, then mix into wet ingredients. Combine until well-blended, but do not overmix.
- Pour batter into prepared pan and bake for 60-70 minutes, until a toothpick inserted into the middle comes out clean. Cool for 10-15 minutes before serving.