From the Moosewood Cookbook. This soup is perfect for a chilly autumn day. The carrot and ginger balance really nicely, and sour cream or yogurt adds a nice creamy, tangy finish.
- 2 pounds peeled or scrubbed, chopped carrots
- 4 c stock or water
- 1 1/2 t salt
- 1 medium potato, chopped (optional, for heartier soup)
- 3-4 T butter
- 1 c chopped onion
- 1-2 small cloves crushed garlic
- 1/3 c chopped cashews or almonds
- 1 T fresh grated ginger
- 3/4 c sour cream
- Place carrots, liquid and salt (and potato if you are using it) into a medium sized soup pot and bring to a boil. Cover and simmer it for 12-15 minutes. Let cool to room temp.
- Saute the onion, garlic and nuts in the butter until the onions are clear. Towards the end of cooking, stir in the ginger.
- Puree everything together in a blender (or with an immersion blender) until smooth.
- Whisk in one of the dairy products.
Garnish with toasted nuts, some toasted bread crumbs or eat just as it is.